Our grandaughter Lucy is singing...

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Our grandaughter Lucy is singing...

Postby alison on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 pm

At Sheffield Arena tonight. She is in a concert called 'Young Voices' It is a lot of school choirs who will be singing to a 12,000 strong audience (including me). I am hoping she will be okay as she is just 10 years old and has said that she is nervous about it. They are going in a coach after lunch to the venue and practising this afternoon before having a packed lunch/tea. The performance is at 7pm. I can't wait to see her. She sang a couple of weeks ago at the village christmas fair and said she really loved it so I am hoping she will feel the same about this and that the nerves don't let her down. I am sure all the children will do well. Her dad once played at Leeds town hall when he was 8 but the audience wasn't so big. He was playing the violin along with 4 others from his school. I can still visualise it as if it was yesterday and now he is going to be seeing his daughter taking part in something so big. I am sure he will be as proud of her as I was of him.
alison

Re: Our grandaughter Lucy is singing...

Postby alison on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Well it was fantastic. I didn't realise that it is the largest school choir in the world. It has been going for the last 15 years and has had over a million children singing in that time. There were 27 schools taking part in Lucys concert and they were all brilliant. It was a good show with an Irish folk group singing really old folk songs. They were called The High Kings and were really good at getting everyone taking part clapping etc. The children all sang parts of some of the folk songs. There was a man called Randolph Mathews who was so brilliant at using lots of sounds. I think they call it beatbox or something like that anyway. It is when the music is all made by the one person using just his voice. He was so clever. The great treat for me was seeing Connie Talbot who was on Britains got talent when she was Six. She is eleven now and she sang a couple of songs one which she had written herself when she was seven. She had such a powerful voice. All the schools were brilliant and it was lovely to hear such great songs by so many children. They all had little lights which they shone all night and there was a song where they all had Santa hats which they whirled around. There was such a good atmosphere and at the end they had a medley of Queen songs which had everyone up on their feet. I couldn't believe the amount of work that had been put in by all the teachers and children and all the afternoon they were rehearsing the whole thing before doing it for us in the evening. The children must have been exhausted at the end as they were so energetic all the way through the 2 hour programme. All I can say is Well Done Lucy you have done us proud. :D
alison

Return to The garden shed