A little rant

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

A little rant

Postby alison on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 am

I am very annoyed at the moment as it is the school holidays and normally we would go to Lotherton Hall with the grandchildren. I remember going to Lotherton since my own childhood and it was always free. A few years ago they started charging for parking and entry into the hall when it was bought by Leeds City Council.
It was £3.60 parking up to last summer and between £3 and £4 I think for the hall per person. For quite a few years now I have had a yearly ticket which cost £15 which enables me to have free parking and one person entry into the hall each visit.
It is a lovely place with a bird garden, a small ornamental pond, grounds with deer (hardly ever seen) and the hall itself with a new playground for the children. There is a shop and a cafe as well.
Each year we have spent many days there having a good time.
When I went to renew my season ticket a few months ago I was told that I couldn't because in a few months time they would be putting up the prices. I now had to pay for parking each visit.
On monday I went onto the website for Lotherton hall to see how much the parking was going to be and how much my yearly ticket would have gone up to. I thought it might have gone up to as much as £20 instead of the £15. Imagine my shock that each visit would now cost the equivilent of the whole of last years entry. £15 for a family of five in one car. I couldn't believe it.
They have changed everything and I think it could backfire as so many people bring their children to play in the playground and are prepared to pay £3.60 but now it is £15 I think parents will think twice. At least I hope so. And I hope they all complain to Leeds city council as well. Of course they have cleverly worded things so that it looks very good as "parking is now included in the price" and "everywhere is free including the hall."
I don't think people always want to go into the hall each visit especially the children. I understand that these places need to make money to exist but we also pay council tax for these things. I just cannot justify £15 a visit and so the children will miss out so much. Not everyone can afford to pay such prices if they have a few children. I am really so cross about it. There isn't even a mention of a yearly ticket any more. What a shame. :(
alison

Re: A little rant

Postby dampflippers on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:06 pm

That's extortionate!
Write a polite letter or email and ask if you have interpreted it correctly.

When I drove back from Edinburgh last year I was desparate for the loo and wanted to find somewhere to eat my sandwiches.
I passed a hall that looked hopeful, had a shop and a craft shop and loos, and I would have made a purchase in the shops.

I discovered that parking cost £3 I think, and no free 10 mins or anything. So I left and found a pertol station.
dampflippers

Re: A little rant

Postby alison on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:20 am

I am definitely going to write to Leeds City Council about it and also let them know that I think it will lose them money instead of making it. They might do well at the beginning as people will come expecting it to be the same parking fee and probably stay that time but they wont come back for another price increase of that size. It is like they have put it in the same catagorie as the stately homes around the country.
alison

Return to The garden shed