Grandma is very happy

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Grandma is very happy

Postby alison on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 am

When our little grandaughter Autumn was born a year last September we were happy apart from it being our 8th girl and no sight of a boy anywhere. She was lovely and was the image of Jasmine her older sister. Then each time she came she was terrified of me and it was awful as she would look at me, then look at her dad with fear in her eyes look back at me, then at him and then really cry, and cry , and cry. It was awful, none of the others have acted in this way and she was fine with everyone else. She would giggle and smile at her grandad and all her cousins etc, but cry with me. Even this christmas I couldn't hold her or anything even though she was 15 months old.
I decided that I wouldn't push it at all and now she was a bit older and sitting and crawling round I would walk past her say hello and walk straight away. I did this as often as possible. Then she appeared a little better, I still couldn't hold her or stay near but she let me give her a biscuit or wotsit crisps as she loves them, as long as she was with her dad.
On tuesday Mark came down to cut our Ivy back on the house walls and as usual he brought her with him. He is the house husband. The others are all at school now. He put her on the floor and to my astonishment she didn't cry when I looked at her or when I spoke to her. I thought I would try just talking to her and bringing her toys to play with. Then I said to her "shall we go and see daddy?" and I picked her up and took her to the front door to see her dad working. Well she didn't cry or look terrified. She just stayed calm and I talked gently to her, then brought her back in and put her down. I did this a few times and she was fine each time. Mark even took a photo of us together to show to Nikki to prove it was happening. I am so happy. To not have been able to hold her or talk to her since she was born without her being frightened had been really hard. I do wonder why she was frightened of me though, and it was a genuine fear I have no doubt of that. I am just glad that I persevered gently speaking and walking away and finally building it up. Mark would put his phone on speaker so she could hear my voice when he was talkiing to me so she could see he was okay with me. I can't wait to see them again so we can see if she is still making progress. :D :D
alison

Re: Grandma is very happy

Postby alison on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:54 pm

I can't believe that everything is just brilliant with Autumn. I know she is 19 months now but suddenly it is as if the last 19 months have never been there. She will come to me no problem and laugh and play. It has been extremely difficult but now it is all over. Hurray ! I now have 9 grandchildren that are happy to come and visit me and grandpa. :D
alison

Re: Grandma is very happy

Postby alison on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

Just a quick update about my progress with Autumn. It was the school hols last week and Autumn and Jasmine came for the day. We went up to Temple Newsam and played on the playground and walked down to the lakes to see the swans and play 3 billy goats gruff which happens each time we go. There is a little wooden bridge across a small grassy dip. Jasmine was the troll and Autumn and I were the billy goats crossing the bridge. Obviously there was need of another 2 goats so I was both of them and we acted out the story. Now Autumn is nearly 2 and a half and is talking.
When it was time to be going home they were in the car. This was where most screaming had taken place previously and I could never say goodbye to her as she would scream. This time I gave her a kiss and then went to the front seat to give Jasmine a kiss and cuddle. Autumn started shouting at me and when I realized what she was saying it was music to my ears as she was saying "cuddle grandma, cuddle" I gave her a big cuddle and another kiss and waved them off. How joyous was that. She has finally realized she loves me and is not scared of me anymore. :D :D :D
alison

Return to The garden shed