Video of garden birds

You can show off your pics here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Video of garden birds

Postby alison on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 pm

This will only probably be of interest for those with broadband as it is 26mb , but is a lovely little video of the garden birds in our little haven. I love the way the bluetit takes his time before deciding that it is a good place to nest. He looks around for absolutely ages before finally going in. I was also surprized to see such green sheen on the starlings. I hadn't noticed how lovely their colouring and pattern was. Anyway enjoy if you can.
http://www.the-horsfalls.co.uk/video/birds.wmv
alison

Postby Tricia on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:04 pm

Lovely photos Sonny - I didn't know that starlings went on to bird feeders. I was very surprised to see that. Is that suet in the feeder? Gordon is looking forward to seeing them all on Saturday.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:24 am

They absolutely love it and yes it is suet. I get it from our local garden centre. They all seem to love the pink one best. It has berries in I think. The insect one didn't get eaten as quickly. They all fight over it and once the starlings are on there is no chance for any of the other birds. The bluetits love it as well. There is also a fatball feeder which they squabble over as well but the suet wins hands down.
I didn't realise that the starlings would eat from the feeder. It was a real surprize as they generally just came for bread on the ground and up to that point hardly came into my garden anymore as usually there was a better taste of bread next door (must have been Warburtons :wink: ) anyway one came and then another and before you knew it there were up to a dozen trying to feed off the suet at once causing quite a scene. Since then they have been regular feeders every day.
It seems to have brought more birds into the garden as we have more bluetits and a longtailed tit and a great tit now that feed.
alison

Postby AJC on Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:55 pm

i had forgoten this part of the site :( great video :) must rememeber to look in here more often.
AJC

Postby kaz on Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:01 am

Sonny... that was really enjoyable - thank you :D
kaz

Postby whis4ey on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:02 am

A big download but well worth it
Great little video :)
I love the way you managed to get the shots of the birds singing (if you could call a robin's chirp a song? hehehe
whis4ey

Postby alison on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:27 pm

I enjoyed watching it again and seeing the starlings on the suet. They were so greedy all the time that they hogged it and the other birds couldn't get a look in.
I am having trouble getting the suet now as the place where I got it from all these months has decided not to do another order until Autumn/winter. I said "what will my birds do now ". I don't think she cared one way or the other really but I was a bit annoyed as I have to go out of my way to get there and had really expected to see it. I searched for ages before going to ask. Of course there are many people that only feed the birds in the winter so I guess they didn't want stock just sitting on their shelves.
alison

Return to Post your pics