Stuff that lives in the garden

You can show off your pics here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Stuff that lives in the garden

Postby sonny on Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 pm

This wee fella was hiding in the ivy, not sure why cos he's quite pretty really.
sonny
Site Admin

Postby sonny on Wed May 31, 2006 11:39 pm

This one wasn't far away, I must say I ain't never seen a green spider, and it was almost lime green. Apparently quite common though, a green orb or cucumber spider.

If you look carefully you can see a wing hanging out of his mouth!. Here's a link to a larger copy so you can get REALLY close http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alison.horsfall/newts/green-orb.jpg
sonny
Site Admin

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:44 am

good shots, what lense?
Here's my contribution, I always seem to get these over the wildlife and plant ponds, the biggest last year was about twice this size so I assume this is a youngster.
500mm mirror
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 pm

They are all brilliant photo's. I just love the way they are all so perfect in form. When I decided I wanted Ivy up the front of the house to make it more 'cottage feeling' I didn't realise that I would also be helping nature in many ways. There are so many different creatures living and climbing among the leaves of the Ivy. I had never seen the lime green spider either, but the way they camaflage is remarkable. Yesterday Sonny got a pic of a ladybird larvae. It is amazing to think that this black bug type thing which is more than double the size of a ladybird adult could turn into a thing of such beauty, a dainty little red ladybird. He has taken some really lovely shots lately of flowers so I am going to put some on here.
alison

Postby sonny on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:24 pm

Sean, Canon 100mm macro f2.8 with a 21mm extension tube, lit with flash 1/200 @ f16.

Anyone notice the wing sticking out of the green orb's mouth?
sonny
Site Admin

Postby Anyanka on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:45 am

Absolutely spectacular. I just had a look at the big version of the spider pic - wonderful quality. Especially fascinating as I've never seen one of these greenies.

Spiders used to give me the creeps, but since watching David Attenborough's "Life in the Undergrowth", their strange beauty has won me over... I still don't like them on me, though :shock:
Anyanka

Postby alison on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:07 pm

This is a shot of some baby spiders that for some reason hatched on my car. We had been out and when we came back Bethany suddenly noticed them. They kept moving and then huddling together and then moving again further up the car. Sonny moved them onto the fence where today I have noticed that they have made themselves a web across from one part of the fence to another and they have all got inside it. They are so tiny. Smaller than a pinhead and quite a yellow and brown colour. So cute.
alison

Return to Post your pics