Garden update

You can show off your pics here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Garden update

Postby elvespurr on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:05 pm

It's been a gruelling few weeks at work, I've been away a couple of nights each week so not had as much time as Id have liked in the garden. I kept thinking of the horrid time you had when you were inspected Kaz- it can work both ways though. In the garden I am so pleased with the grape vines- they are spectacular this year. The koi are also growing like crazy - in the one photo Edgar and Skyfish are demolishing the water lettuce - they're both getting quite big now, over 22" - as are Jackie Lemon (with orange blemish on her side) and Tin Tin, the copper Chagoi. The passion flower vine has taken over the pergola and is now rambling over the roof intermingling with the grape vine. I've loads of water soldiers, the ones Sean sent last year have multiplied again, must put them on the swap post thingy along with water lettuce - which is also prolific - but seasonal - unlike soldiers. Tried both water lettuce and soldiers in the koi pond - thought as they float, Koi might not get so much fun as they would trying to oust something out of a pot - not true. They loved chasing the water lettuce and have shedded most of them. The water soldiers don't fare so well in the air from the bottom drain - they look spectacular as they roll around the pond in the current - however I suspect they wont be growing as well as those left in the goldfish pond.
I seem to having a problem with the photo's - I'll have another look tomorrow.
elvespurr

Postby AJC on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:21 pm

garden looks good elevepurr, only get two pics to show tho, top one has a red x, pond pic i assume?
AJC

Postby kaz on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:58 pm

Well its about time we got to see some pics Linda!!! I got the red box too, but used the properties to track the picture down. Those fish are quite a size :shock:

The garden looks lovely... a tranquil setting for your clients. You've got me wondering about growing some grapes now... yours look great. Any tips?
kaz

Postby alison on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:29 pm

Linda can you try the top pic again? Kaz managed to find the pic by going on the properties, but I can't seem to do that. :cry: Both other pics are lovely. I can't believe that you have such grapes on the vine.
Did you see the pic of Jasmine on the news section. I am sure you will have some pics of your little ones now you can put on.
alison

Postby elvespurr on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:51 pm

The grapes have amazed me this year Kaz. I've another vine of white grapes that is doing equally well. They're planted deep with lots of horse muck then pretty much left to their own devices. If anything they've had more neglect this summer - perhaps thats the key! I think the heat wave has helped though - plus I suppose they're coming into their 3rd year so really established. Your lovely babes are beautiful Alison; I've really enjoyed all of the photo's of the days out and the adventure stories. I've some photo's I need to edit and put up on the website before I can share them here. How are you AJC? -I've thought of your plight often over the last week or so.Image
elvespurr

Postby AJC on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:35 am

Looks like you have a good mix batch of koi there, I did the same, tried not to get two the same (except chagoi's, had five different coloured chags) yours look good an healthy too, good clear water as well, looking good :)

I am fine thank you elevespurr, pond has been steralised, and I have some new fish, so far so good, no signs of any probs. problem is finding nice fish at the monet, the japanese koi have been hit badley by KHV and many dealers are feelign the pinch, finding nice looking unifected jap koi is hard right now :(

Israli koi are safe, they have been treated against khv, so they cant die from it! but they are still a way behind with good solid colours of thier koi yet, but I have some to feed and watch, so in time I will have a good selection again :)
AJC

Postby kaz on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:22 pm

That's a different pic from the one I saw Linda... I think there were only 2 koi.

Tut........... tut............ tut Alan. New fish................. NO pictures.......... in fact zero info.......... :smt075
kaz

Postby whis4ey on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:43 pm

Interesting to see your grapes ... my own are quite magnificent this year .. I have never seen such a crop
I too think it is because this is their third year and the heatwave must have helped :)
whis4ey

Postby kaz on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Do the grapes have a name Linda / Sam? Can you recommend a 'hardy' type? Is it too late for me to plant this year? What are the grapes growing against or are they free standing?
kaz

Postby retropwr on Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Apparently (Sven Wombwell, Model Gardens on Sunday) German grape vines are best as they are generally hardier types :)
Richard
retropwr

Postby whis4ey on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 pm

Mine have no name as I got the plant free from a friend
These are some of the grapes this year. They are a small sweet black grape ripe late September last year
whis4ey

Postby alison on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:53 pm

How lovely. I love black grapes much more now than green ones.
I am happy to have some blackberries in my garden. Not many just a little bush but they are ripening everyday and I am able to pick some off and eat them. How wonderful it is to just 'pick your own' I think looking at your grapes I would end up eating a bunch everytime I went past. I just wouldn't be able to help myself.
alison

Postby Anyanka on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

What do you all do with your grapes? We have a vine which came with the garden, very well established, and a lovely plant. The grapes are green (yeah, I know, that's 'white', except they are actually green). The previous people used to make their own wine. I don't think I want to do that, but is there any other use for the grapes? To my surprise, the birds don't seem to eat them.
Anyanka

Postby whis4ey on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43 pm

My friend gives his to the church for Harvest thanksgiving :)
whis4ey

Return to Post your pics