The grass is greener?

plants flowers shrubs and trees

Moderators: alison, sonny

The grass is greener?

Postby Peterkins on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:05 am

Hi everyone, I have just been reading an article in an old gardening mag which praises and encourages people to grow various so called "exotics" Plants like bougainvillia, banana and various palms. All these grow here and I hate them with a fiery passion! Take bourgainvillia, it grows like a weed here, my neighbour has them next to the fence by our driveway, it has twice knocked the fence down because it grew so thick and when it was pruned the gardener left some cuttings on the ground and we had a puncture due to the nasty thorns this monster has, I also think it's a little garish. My other neighbour has a mini banana plantation down his fence and the nasty brown dead leaves hang over into my garden, they don't drop off, just get more and more ugly, he does cut them off eventualy but because they are difficult to get to he leaves it until there is a whole forest of dead leaves! Many of the flowers I would like to grow need winter cold so I can't. So is the grass greener? Peter
Peterkins

Postby alison on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 am

I think it is lovely that we have such diversity all over the world with our plants and wildlife. These must have been placed there because it was the natural place for them. I don't think they will ever be able to completely live elsewhere without a lot of mollycoddling. It is always lovely to see far off places with there 'goodies' but probably that is where they should stay. Maybe those that are quite hardy could be grown sufficiently well in other countries. I think Peter that you should find those plants that you adore which come from Isreal and enfold them, and those which will grow from other countries that you love, give them some space. Then the grass will be green on both sides.
alison

Return to Flora