Chelsea Flower Show

plants flowers shrubs and trees

Moderators: alison, sonny

Chelsea Flower Show

Postby alison on Thu May 25, 2006 8:08 am

How are you all enjoying the Chelsea flower show? I have absolutely loved all the flowers. It is a shame we cannot have Scent TV as it must be so powerful in the pavilion. When Rachel was smelling all the roses I just wanted to be able to smell them as well. :smt050
I remember as a child with my sisters we would go down to our local park and loved to go into the rose garden. We would take some of the petals to make rosewater. The smell was just beautiful. The enjoyment of that time has always stayed with me and whenever I smell the rose it conjours up those happy times.
It was lovely to see Chris Beardshaw as well especially winning a gold medal. He was so emotional. I have missed seeing him on the TV. I really thought that he would have taken over gardeners world when Alan left. It is always nice to see Alan as well. He was born not far from here and although he has lived all over the country, you can still tell he is a Yorkshire man.
I am always amazed at how many beautiful flowers there are and the stands that have all the same flower displayed in lots of different varieties look stunning.
There is the competition going on at the moment of our favourite flower. The trouble is I cannot choose as they are all my favourites. Iris is one of my very favourite flowers but when put against the rose, sweetpea, tulip and lily which are all favourites it is still hard to choose. What are your favourite flowers?
I also loved the peonies that they gave to Carol Klein last night. They really looked so real. I wouldn't mind them being displayed in my home. I have a few 'real' peonies which are just coming into flower now. All the dark red ones and they are looking good :D I have been very lucky with them as everyone says they don't like moving etc, but all mine were given when they were in full leaf and quite large. I put them in different areas of the back and side garden where they have done really well.
alison

Postby Anyanka on Fri May 26, 2006 9:58 am

Hi Alison! I didn't watch Chelsea on tv, only read one article about it in the Radio Times. The 'favourite flower' question is a good one - I always think I have a favourite, but it actually changes with the seasons.... In February I rave about the hellebores; shortly afterwards I usually decide that snakeshead fritillaries are the most wonderful though short-lived plant. Now the columbine is in bloom - I love them! They look so dainty and fragile, but are tough as old boots, growing in full sun and almost complete shade, self-seeding into all the right places, and making no demands on me whatsoever. The perfect guest, really.

But soon it will be the roses' turn, which goes on well into autumn. My heart (and nose) belong firmly to the classic roses, with the full round blooms and a rich scent. There's not one perfect rose though - the most beautiful in colour and shape (Reine Victoria) is a bit tender, susceptible to blackspot etc - and the ones with the best scent (Jude the Obscure, Sweet Juliet) have great flower shape, but not the best colour.

Another top favourite are the geraniums, because they are such great reliable plants. The ones you gave me are about to burst into bloom, I'm soooo looking forward to seeing what colour they'll be!

Anyway, although it really is in joint first place with all the ones named above, I give you my favourite, the Reine Victoria rose:

Anyanka

Postby seanmckinney on Fri May 26, 2006 11:22 am

I was going to post these for the beebs competition but didnt realise it closed yesterday and at 9.00pm last night the site appeared a wee bit busy

oh they are bog bean
seanmckinney

Postby Tricia on Fri May 26, 2006 5:58 pm

How absolutely beautful Sean :smt041 . It would be my favourite if it was on the short list :) . Since it wasn't then I would have chosen the iris. My first lovely yellow one has just come into bloom in the pond. I also have three waterlily buds bobbing on the surface. Even here in the southwest everything is so late this year. It's been a dull, drizzly day. so I'm hoping tomorrow will be brighter, then Gordon and I can do some work outdoors. As for Chelsea - I am always amazed at how the exhibitors get their plants to bloom at the right time and to get such perfect specimens too!
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Sat May 27, 2006 1:19 pm

Anyanka I am so glad that the geraniums have lasted. They are a stunning colour so I am sure you will be pleased with them and they spread so quickly that you will soon have them everywhere. Your rose looks beautiful.
Sean that bogbean flower is stunning. I didn't know they bloomed like that. My sister in law gave me a little stem which I just lay in the pond, so I will be extremely happy if something like your flower comes in it's place.
The rose was the peoples favourite flower on the Chelsea flower show which is no surprise really. I always think that a peony looks like a rose and mine are blooming at the moment in a lovely rich burgandy red colour, they are really beautiful.
alison

Return to Flora