Temple Newsam Display

plants flowers shrubs and trees

Moderators: alison, sonny

Temple Newsam Display

Postby alison on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:40 pm

There is the Delphinium collection at Temple Newsam and it was beautiful so I thought I would show you a few pics and also some of the border displays. Hope you like them.

The Delphinium borders are on both sides of the paths and were beautiful. I guess with the blue flowery dress I could have blended in quite well :D

This is the long path up to the rose gardens and further along to the Delphinium border.

The next two pictures are in the walled rose garden. The flowers are bordering the whole walled gardens and lead up to the top where there is a hothouse where they have bright tropical flowers.

I noticed that I have quite a few of these plants in my garden so I was quite pleased (not that I can remember any of their names now though :oops: ) I think if it is good enough for Temple Newsam it's good enough for me :P
Temple Newsam is only a matter of minutes away from me and has a Stately home , Rare Breeds farm, open air amphitheatre where they put on free plays - mainly Shakespeare, ponds, woodland and open fields and hold pop and opera concerts and last weekend had the 'race for life'. Sometimes we don't appreciate what is on our doorstep. It was lovely to see it all. :D
alison

Postby Tricia on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Those delphiniums are really splendid Alison - and you look like you have lost weight, am I right? I once tried to grow some delphiniums, but they were so susceptible to mildew that I gave up. Pity as they are such a beautiful flower.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:47 pm

I wish I had lost weight Tricia Thankyou :P :P . I guess I have just worn something that doesn't make me look as bad as I am. :? I have lost 5lbs over the last few months but haven't really got my slimming head on. I want to lose some before my 50th birthday which is in March next year so I need to motivate myself.
I love all the plants that are showy and tall. What I call real cottage plants. I have found a Delphinium in my back border so all the time I have been looking for it coming up in the front garden, it has been beavering away unnoticed in the back. :roll: Just shows you what my memory is like :D It is just coming into bud so is nothing like the ones at Temple Newsam but it is getting there. I thought the snails had eaten it in the front garden. It would be lovely to have a display like those in the pics. They were even on TV last week on the local news. I didn't even realise they were up there until I saw it on the news, as I always go into the rose garden, but never knew that the pathway went anywhere else. The Aster and Chrysanthium collection are also at Temple Newsam but they will be open to the public in October I think.
alison

Postby kaz on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:34 am

What stunning plants... and look at you Alison, all pretty in blue :D
kaz

Postby alison on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Thankyou. :P It is one of my prettiest and is my favourite dress, but is quite a few years old now (a bit like me :? ) and will soon fall apart, but till then I will keep wearing it.
The flowers were stunning and to be able to see both borders at the same time was lovely. I'm sure that had sonny been there he would have been able to show the flowers so much better, but I was pleased enough with the pictures I took.
alison

Return to Flora