Pond side planting

plants flowers shrubs and trees

Moderators: alison, sonny

Pond side planting

Postby kaz on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Although I quite enjoy gardening... I wish I knew more about plants. I just can't seem to learn :?. Its all those latin names and zillions of strands of the same plant that get me.

How do people put their gardens together?

Recently I've been looking at options to resolve a problem down at the big pond. There is an area where the grass has shrunk back and now exposes the liner. In fact, there are several sites around the pond where this has happened.

One option would be to returf the affected areas. However... I'm wondering about using this as an opportunity to change the garden-scape by introducing some pond side plants. This presents some problems like leaves falling into water and what's safe for the fish etc.

Anyway... I have done a bit of google searching and became 'over-loaded' with information... then sort of lost the plot. I don't know if anyone gets the Gardens Monthly magazine? In the April edition, there is quite a nice pond-side garden. I was maybe thinking I could do something like this on a smaller scale :smt017.

Here's a pic of the pic :shock::

So... not knowing what many of these plants are called, or whether my soil is suitable... I head off to the garden centre with the picture. After a walk-about, I asked one of the staff if there was anyone available who could advise me on plants. Get this... I was told that their plant expert has left, so no-one to help :roll:.

Before I go any further with this... has anyone got any ideas? I know acers look good by a pond... but I want it to look ok all year round (some evergreen). Also... isn't there an evergreen that grows stiffly horizontal? What about a minature weeper... do they have a risky route system and are the catkins poisonous to fish?

Are there any hardy tree ferns Alan? My soil down there is very moist due to the underground springs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kaz

Postby AJC on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:05 pm

no kaz unfortunatley there are no evergreen hardy tree ferns, closest is dicksonia antartica, but you would have to cover it a bit in winter, but to do that is a 5 minute job.

as for other plants, you can use some conifers, the lighter green sort rather than the darker, also some of the bluish leaved varieties are safe with fish, the lower spreading sort can be encouraged to grow over the water to give a bit of shade and protection.

for large leaves you can try a gunnera manicata, like the tree fern it would need a little help form you in winter by cutting off the leaves it has and covering the crown, both are worth the effort for sheer effect.

there are several plants that you can use as a back drop for a pond, japanese maples do look great next to water, but they are not ever green, so you look forward to spring and autumn for thier colours.

the arum lily can also be planted by a pond, bury it a little deeper than normal and dump a small heap of compost on it and it will do pretty well until the other plants have grown more to add to protecting it over winter. although i think they are more hardy than they are given credit for.

best idea is to form an idea of what you want it to look like, then walk around a garden centre, with a big note pad, writing down any plants you like the look of, then doin a check on them online to see if they are ok to use by a pond.

choisya is a good one, i have aztec pearl and mexican orange blossom, both are ever green and will cover a large area in time 8'x 8' ideal for each end of you design, one is mid green the other yellow, both flower at the same time and look great with the light green conifers.

hope this gives you an idea or two kaz, I have neevr planted my pond like that, so no had the experience, i just know what plants i have that are safe and look good.

ferns, hostas (many different ones) acers, gunnera, arum, lobelias, bamboos, astilbes, these are a few of what i have planted close to the pond, some even in them.
AJC

Postby kaz on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:26 pm

Thank you Alan... I'll do a google image search on the plants you've mentioned. See... that's my trouble... not knowing the names to search! Ones I like, I'll check against my soil type and start to build a scrapbook. Hope this isn't going to be a costly affair :shock:. I know that when we purchased acers at my last house... well they cost mega bucks!

If anyone can add to Alan's plant suggestions... that would be great. Also, do you think adding plants will spoil the garden-scape or improve it?
kaz

Postby Anyanka on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:30 am

Alan's suggestions are all good ones; I'd add phormium and cordyline for year-round interest and contrasting leaf shape and colour. I also have red-stemmed Swiss Chard dotted around my pond - it escaped from the vegetable beds, self-seeds into all the right places (therefore not costing me a penny) and is in leaf round the year. And you can eat it or feed it to guinea pigs.

Another favourite of mine is Cardoon, which I grew from seed (cheap!). It dies back in the winter, but it makes a beautiful tall silver-leafed plant with striking shapes. In flower it looks like a 6-foot-thistle.

Anyanka

P.S. Japanese maples

Postby Anyanka on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:32 am

Japanese maples are usually expensive, but if you're not fussed about getting specific types, you could look out for bargains - last year Morrisons (the supermarket) regularly had maples for ridiculous prices, £3.99 or so. I bought two, they are very pretty, but still small of course.
Anyanka

Postby AJC on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:35 pm

I saw some acers in woolies garden bit, they were only about 24"/60cm tall but also only 4.99, they had other shrubs too, but i didnt look to close to be honest, jsut saw the red leaf maple was cheap.
AJC

Postby kaz on Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Sorry about the late reply... I've had a bit of trouble getting into this site over the past few days. It takes ages to arrive and then every post I click on has either been slow to open or not opened. Anyway, seems good again now :D

Thank you for the tips... I'd never thought about going to Woolies.

Anyanka... I loved your cardoons... I might have a go at them. I'm still collating ideas.
kaz

Return to Flora