Iris - variety Kermesina

plants flowers shrubs and trees

Moderators: alison, sonny

Iris - variety Kermesina

Postby Tricia on Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:32 pm

I have gathered quite a lot of Iris seeds of the variety Kermesina today. This iris is a very pretty rich purple with white and reddish purple at the base of the leaves, grows about 50cm tall and can be grown as a bog plant up to 10cm in water (which is where I have it).

Any takers?
Tricia

Tricia

Re: Iris - variety Kermesina

Postby alison on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:34 pm

Oh Yes please Tricia. I love Iris. They are one of my very favourite plants and the purple one is my fave out of them all. In the pond I only had the yellow flag, but my mother in law brought me some purple ones last week and they are extremely tall so I may mix them in with my yellowflag for next year. But yours sound ideal for the shallows of my pond. :D :D
alison

Postby Tricia on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:53 pm

I'll get some seeds off to you in a few days Alison. I am having an operation on my arthritic left thumb tomorrow, which will make it a bit difficult to do things for a while. Gordon will be here on Wednesday so he will make up the seed packages for me and get them off to the Post Office. I've had requests from another gardening forum for seeds so they will all get done at the same time.

Take care..................
Tricia

Tricia

Postby Tricia on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 pm

Seeds mailed this morning Alison. Good luck with germination. I found this searching Google with one hand today. I'll be glad when the 18th is here and the stitches come out. I'll also get a less bulky splint for the next 4 weeks.

<<For best seed germination results, use a pin and poke a hole in the seeds and soak in warm water for 24 hours. The seeds will need 3 weeks warm/moist followed by 10 weeks cold/moist. Then move to warm again for germination. Some seeds need more than one cycle of warm cold, so keep seed trays for a few years. For most Iris seeds, I sow them in a pot and put out side in a sheltered location, with germination occurring in 1 to 3 years for most types. You can speed-up the process by sowing the seeds in a plastic bag with some moist medium and use the fridge. (poke hole, soak, 3 weeks warm, 10 weeks fridge, warm again - remove and plant seeds as they germinate, move ungerminated seeds back to the fridge. )>>
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:29 am

Gosh I wouldn't have thought to do all that. Thanks Tricia.. I was wondering how your operation went the other day so I am glad it has been done and you are on the road to recovery. It is amazing that such a little thing can really debilitate us as I really hurt my foot the other week and that seems to have taken ages to get better. I still have scabs on my knees as well but they are starting to peel at the edges. I can't stop touching them and have to tell myself off. Such a stupid thing to do fall over. Lucy came to the corner shop with me tonight to hold my hand so I didn't fall over again. :lol:
alison

Postby alison on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Thanks for the seeds Tricia :D :D
alison

Return to Flora