Yellow leaves and buds on daffs

plants flowers shrubs and trees

Moderators: alison, sonny

Yellow leaves and buds on daffs

Postby alison on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Today I went for my daily walk to Temple Newsam House and noticed the large clumps of daffs coming up. Within them were lots of yellow clumps which I went to investigate to see what they were. I was so surprized to see that they were actually daffs but had complete yellow foliage and yellow stems and buds. They were as high as the green ones and in the same size clumps. My friend and I were both quite taken aback as we had never seen yellow ones. The thing that I did notice was that they were coming up through a lot of autumn leaves and one clump had not even brushed the leaves off yet the clump was a good 6 inches high. I moved the dried leaves away from the stems and the only thing that came into my mind was that maybe the leaves had been keeping them hidden just like when they come up under a plantpot or stone. I have moved my pots on occasions to find stems underneath trying to get to the light. We thought we would ask a gardener if one was about on our walk.
Luckily for us there was and I mentioned the yellow clumps of daffs and although the gardeners hadn't been up to that area on my explaining what they looked like they actually gave the same thoughts as myself. One said that the leaves on the daffs would have been forced and that the autumn leaves would have been a mulch keeping them in the dark. He said that soon they would turn back green. I am going to keep notes on it and see if that happens. I have never seen anything like them before.
alison

Re: Yellow leaves and buds on daffs

Postby retropwr on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:53 pm

I'll have to check the daffs at work that have come up through piles of leaves.
Richard
retropwr

Postby retropwr on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Nope, they're green, very late but definantly green.

I did get some funny looks as I studied them. Probably thought I wanted them for Sunday.
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Well that is very strange or should I say that ours are very strange to be so yellow. I will look again tomorrow. If I remember I will take my camera and take a picture of them.
alison

Postby alison on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Needless to say I forgot the camera :( but I can tell you that they are changing back to a green. They are still very yellow but the tips of the leaves are now changing green. I wish I had taken a picture just to show you how very yellow they were. I have only ever seen them yellow at the first signs of the leaves when they had been covered by a pot or something.Never have I seen such a great height and clump formation like them. At least in the future we will have this knowledge if we see it happening again. :D
alison

Return to Flora