Waterlily advice please!

Post here if you have any problems with your fish frogs etc and need advice.

Moderator: sonny

Postby alison on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:43 pm

Thanks. :P I looked in my pond questions and answers book and I found the best way of taking cuttings so when I pull out the lily I will have a good look and see if it is possible to get you a cutting Sean.
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:39 am

ta
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Right I have been paddling in my pond and now have the lily repotted and sunk to the depths.. :P :P Sean I managed to get you a cutting off so can you give me your address again. I am sure I have it somewhere but I can't find it. Do you want it with leaves or not? I managed to get about four cuttings from it. 3 plants and the other is the rest of the ryzome with about 3 nodules on it. I planted the main one back in and a small cutting. The water wasn't too bad really not too cold. I went in with my trousers and tights on though as I didn't fancy slipping. But I am a bit smelly now like seaweed. So off to the shower. It was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Better get some housework done soon though... :smt036
alison

Postby alison on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:10 pm

I had a Victor Meldrew moment this morning when I looked out of the door at the pond. "I don't believe it" :smt104 the lily had risen out of the new pot and was laying on the surface of the water again. This afternoon entailed another paddle in the pond to get the new container back out. I eventually tied a large stone (part of an old paving slab) to the lily and repotted it back into the container and hopefully it will not rise again. I have tied string over the top of the container as well, not leaving anything to chance. :smt098
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Alison pm'd address on the way, sorry for te delay I havent been surfing.
I wouldnt have tied a rock to it just carefully place a rock over a non crowned bit
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:51 pm

The rocks not actually tied to the plant. I tied the rock, then looped the string loosely over the middle of the whole plant carefully moving leaves etc. It is not tight to the plant. Is that okay do you think.?I will have to swim to get it out next time :shock: as when I placed it back into the pond Sonny moved it nearer the middle so I've no chance of just paddling in the shallows. The string is then just placed over the top of the container just like you would package a parcel, not actually touching the lily or it's roots, leaves etc.
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:02 pm

personally I would remove the string, sorry
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:52 pm

Why ? What is it that you are worried about ? It would help me to understand what I have done wrong. :cry: :oops:
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:16 am

I'd be concerned about it getting imeshed?? in the roots and then ripping a lot of the root structure away if you ever pulled it, or animals, fish, frogs, newts etc getting caught in it as it frays
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:48 am

Okay I understand now. I will make sure I keep a good eye on it. It is wrapped round quite a bundle of old aquatic clay so it isn't near the root itself. It is also in the container so is not just on the floor of the pond. I suppose that fish could swim into it but there is only one string across the top of the container each way. It isn't like a mesh or anything so I don't think they could get caught up in it. At least I hope not. Thanks for your concerns about this. :D
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Eee by gum, I got a pkt of weetabix in the post this morning.Ta
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:49 pm

How does it look? Is it okay. :D I tried to get most of the blanketweed off it, but I know that you quarrentine your plants as well as your fish so I am sure it will be okay by the time it gets back into the pond. Mine is sending up the flowers again now it is planted back on the bottom. Lets hope the sun lasts long enough to open the flower up. 8)
alison

Previous

Return to Pondlife