Frogspawn!!

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Postby AJC on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:14 pm

I havent got any spawn yet, but I have at least got a few paired up frogs, so wont be long now :)

I took the old small pond out along with the bridge, I made it slighty bigger and 12" deeper, and its not yet finnished, so iIam supprised the frogs came back this year, but so far i dont think there are as many as normal.
AJC

Postby alison on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Well I don't know if what I said in my last post is correct now about them just spawning once as I have about 22 clumps now and still am only seeing about a dozen frogs and most surely are males. Of course this is during the day time. There could be more that just venture out in the night as that is when they are most active. Once one starts laying it doesn't take long for them all to start doing it. I had only the one clump yesterday and overnight they have just gone mad. :P How happy am I :D :D
I think Alan, that no matter what state your pond is in they would still have come back. I know that when a pond has been filled in or has naturally dried up the frogs still return to it, but then have to look for other accomodation. Have you come to any decision about putting any new Koi in after your horrendous year? I noticed you said you have made the pond deeper. (or have you got 2 ponds?)
alison

Postby alison on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:17 pm

The first of our frogspawn taken today 2nd March.
There are 30 frogs clambering over the spawn now so more frogs must also be in the pond in other areas. Hopefully we might get the same amount that came last year. 51 lovely little frogs. It would be great if we had even more.
alison

Postby Anyanka on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:19 pm

What a great photo! I love the way the frogspawn echoes the shape and design of its mummy's & daddy's eyes. Also love the clear reflection of the two frogs.

Talking of photos - as it's now March, I smile everytime I glance at the calendar (to my right on the computer desk) - dancing caterpillars!
Anyanka

Postby alison on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:09 am

They are one of my favourites too. In a way I couldn't wait to turn over to March. On the full photograph there are about 7 caterpillars dancing on the branch. (Anyone still wanting one of our calendars just ask-they are free to a good home :D )
alison

frogspawn

Postby jac1 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:32 pm

I have some frogspawn in my pond!! I think it's pretty early for Fife, but it's been a really mild winter. I am pleased 'cos I reckon the gloppy stuff that was round my pond earlier in the year was 'unripe' eggs from the frogs that were eaten. Obviously whatever ate them either didn't get them all or others came to the pond.
Last year I had some spawn and it developed into tadpoles but they all ended up inside the pond pump! I am planning to turn the pump off this year but still want the water to be aerated. Can anyone recommend a small solar pump/fountain that would help and not break the bank balance? My pond's not very big, about 2 feet by 6 feet.
jac1

Postby alison on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:16 pm

We have beaten last years record. 51 frogs and 22 clumps of frogspawn. Yesterday I counted 52 frogs and 27 clumps of spawn. You really need to count the spawn when it is first laid though because it tends to all come together and it is impossible to count when that happens. I knew I had 22 so I just counted the new clumps laid over the last day or so.
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:55 pm

one dessertspoon full of spawn laid on the dry section of my pebble beach.
3 now clasping so still awaiting the big day.
I am up for a calendar if there are any going Alison :)
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:11 am

Of course you can have one Dave. Just send me your address either email it or pm me. Did you look at it on Sonnys gallery. You can see all the monthly pics on http://www.the-horsfalls.co.uk/gallery and it is headed 'Calendar'. It was done as a Christmas pressie for Sonny from our Son Ian who is a printer. He told Sonny to choose his favourite photo's he had taken and this is the end result.
Are your frogs a bit late. They are normally in their hundreds aren't they??
alison

Postby alison on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:13 pm

It is lovely to have so many of our frogs back this year and I haven't noticed any with the problems of last year yet. Do you remember we saw quite a lot with what looked like lumps under the skin. Are all your frogs okay this year? I will keep looking to see that they are all healthy, but it does also make me wonder where are the ones that had the lumps. Have they died or have they been cured??
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 pm

:D :D They're back ! :D :D
12 clumps but all laid in amongst the pebbles.
I'll be able to rescue most and put in buckets but the rest will
probably just dry up. They have no depth to sink to.

I thought I saw quasimodo two days ago but he was swimming to the bottom.

Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:32 am

Your calendar should be with you tomorrow Dave :D Glad your frogs are back.
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:33 am

I have about 6 sq ft of expanded spawn in the plant pond now and they have started in the wildlife pond too, I think I am going to have to move some
seanmckinney

Postby AJC on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:10 pm

seems I am always last to see the frog spawn, but I have some in the little pond, but not much this year.
AJC

Postby Ponddipperdave on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:17 am

I moved about 15 clumps from the pebbles, I put three clumps in the shallow end of the pond away from the pebbles. The following day there was another 15 clumps on the pebbles. A couple of days later a great swadge in the shallows where I put the three clumps. The frogs disappeared with the snow. No activity whatsoever now.

When do the Toads come? :D

Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

PreviousNext

Return to Pondlife