Standard wisteria

Post here for advice on anything in the garden.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Standard wisteria

Postby alison on Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:46 pm

I bought a standard wisteria last year, but got it mail order and when it arrived it was such a weedy little thing. (It was a no return thing so I just accepted it as it was) :oops: . Anyway I planted it up and as it grew it seemed to send off long shoots and I was worried about it not being a standard at all and it being the climber. I know nothing at all about wisterias :smt017 so then I forgot all about it in the pot.
When spring arrived I found it amongst the pots of daffodils and it had really started sprouting and looked quite good. At the moment it is once more sending out long shoots and I just wondered if I needed to do anything with them or just leave them alone. I am presuming that it is a standard, the picture on the leaflet when I ordered it showed it in a pot on the patio absolutely covered in lovely flowers. I never noticed any long shoots on the picture. Since then I have heard that they take 6 years before they flower. Is that correct? :roll: I wonder how old mine is !!
alison

Postby alison on Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:20 pm

I have had a good look at it today and the long stems have also started to get leaves on them at the ends so maybe it is just how they get a bit bigger and rather than height they get width. Hmmmm maybe I shouldn't have posted this as it makes me look rather silly :shock: :smt082 oh well....
alison

Postby alison on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:21 pm

Right I will post another reply to myself :shock: I was watching gardeners world on friday and they did a little about the wisteria but didn't mention the standard only the climbing one. The thing I noticed was the long tendricles that she said were to be used for tying to the wall etc as it isn't a climber like the clemitis and doesn't wrap itself round to keep itself moving. She cut loads of them off and the others she used to wrap round other things to keep the plant against the wall. These are what my long shoots looked like so I am going to take the plunge and cut them off my standard plant. (As obviously it is only going on a patio in a pot not up a wall.)
alison

Postby kaz on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:26 am

HeHeHe....

Alison, I've only had a climber and it was quite destructive to the pagola (last property). It eventually lifted the structure out of the ground. The same has happened to a friend... its ruined a fence. Lovely plant though... shame it doesn't spend long in flower, but leaves are attractive.
kaz

Postby alison on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:06 pm

:shock: GOSH :shock: Someone has actually looked on here !! Thankyou Kaz. I love the flowers on them and when you see them up against an old large brick house they look lovely. I knew they were quite bad root wize that was why I went for a standard. I bet the picture they showed was a plant of about 10 years. :wink: Anyway I've plenty of time to look forward to it flowering. It is in a large pot so it has plenty of root space. It didn't show it needing any support so we shall see how it goes. Thanks for the reply. :P
alison

Return to Gardening