My Fish

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

My Fish

Postby retropwr on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Just thought I'd post a pic of the fish in my puddle before I go stirring it up getting the bamboo leaves off the bottom :)

Counted them in at a nice round 50 :D

Richard
retropwr

Re: My Fish

Postby AJC on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:49 pm

they look fit enough
AJC

Postby alison on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 am

Lovely fish. Will you have to take any out when they get bigger or is the pond deep enough etc to keep that many fish? I always worry about having too many fish in my pond. I think I have around 25 in my pond (probably just under 1500 galls). They are not too healthy at the moment I am sorry to say as I have already lost 2 so far this winter. A very large goldfish that I have had for 10 years that spent it's last few weeks laying on it's side not really moving at all and a smaller shubunkin. One of my fish seems to prefer always being nose down. I don't know if that is a problem as it seems fit enough when I try to get near to net it.
I hope the others do well as I would hate to lose them.
alison

Postby retropwr on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm hoping not to have to take any out - they currently range from about 4-10 inches so it will depend on how much bigger the smaller ones get.
The pond is massively overfiltered (for it's size rather than the number of fish) and there is also the smaller top pond with loads of plants in so the water quality stays good (at least it did last summer :) ), also with there being so many fish eggs don't get a chance to hatch so the population is fairly stable.
Richard
retropwr

Postby kaz on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Fish look fine... how many did you start with?

Can anyone remind me when to start feeding the fish again and do they start with a wheatgerm or something (I'm losing my marbles)
kaz

Postby AJC on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm

you can feed the koi with wheatgerm now kaz, only a small ammount first, see how they take it, if they wolf it down then feed them wheatgerm once a day until the temps goes up enough for high protien foods ( but that wont be for a few more weeks yet)

and ya might have left ya marbles on that cruise ship :D email the captian and ask him if they got any in lost propperty :D
AJC

Postby retropwr on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:04 pm

kaz wrote:Fish look fine... how many did you start with?

Started with 4 fish (which were supposed to be comets but at least 1 was a plain goldie) which outgrew an aquarium. 3 of them mysteriously vanished one night (Heron) so a comet was added to keep the remaining one company. It was when adding the new comet 100's of little fry were noticed in the weeds and that is what most of these are the remains of.

Two shubunkins rescued from the threat of being flushed were added a few months later
Richard
retropwr

Postby kaz on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks for that Alan... bought some wheatgerm and gave them a bit today. They didn't hang about... mega hungry I guess!!!

Very funny about the lost marbles!!! I swear I have trouble retaining info (anyone else?).

Richard... don't know about you, but I love seeing the fry... which is usually followed by a panic re over-stocking!!! (never content!!!)
kaz

Postby AJC on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 pm

I think it would be a long time before you needed to worry about over stocking in your pond kaz.

all the fry you see no many of them survive the first winter. very few infact, thats why they have so many eggs, and you wont have that many females spawn the same year, so in all you have very few young fish each spring, i got 3 in my small pond from dozens last autumn.
AJC

Return to Pond talk