Are there any signs of froglife in your pond?

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Are there any signs of froglife in your pond?

Postby alison on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:29 am

Today I have seen the frogs coming back hopefully for the mating ritual. I noticed a couple of days ago some movement in amongst the weeds but nothing sighted. Then the night was freezing and we woke up to a ground frost and Ice on the pond. Today although it doesn't feel any warmer to me the pond is clear and there was a lovely frog swimming away. I love it when they come back. My whole day will be at standstill as I watch them. :D
I am a bit worried about their safety for the first time as we have the new cats who are very quick.
We have had cats all our lives and none of them have ever looked at a bird never mind a frog but these two are keen to say the least, so what they will make of the froglets as they hop over the grass I don't know. I have given jasper instructions though, which he must not disobey.... :D
alison

Re: Are there any signs of froglife in your pond?

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Just two, yesterday, clasped together which is encouraging.
I thought they may all have disappeared because they're usually here by the first week in March but hey, these two might call the others out.
Since relaying my pond, it looks like a resevoir. hardly any plants in it. I've got an anti Heron net suspended about 2 feet above the pond which I will remove when the mating has finished.
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 am

I certainly have not had anywhere near the amount we have had on previous years, but last year was such a washout that maybe a lot didn't survive through this winter. Last week they came all together and did leave quite a lot of spawn but the Ice and snow over the past few days I am sure will have damaged if not killed the spawn now. Which is such a shame. I do hope that there is not much damage. :(
alison

Postby alison on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 pm

It has really snowed over the last few days and was 8 inches high so the pond and it's spawn has been covered in snow and ice for the last week or so. I am hoping that any spawn that has fallen to the bottom of the pond is still okay but there was so much on the surface of the pond that I have not much hope. :(
alison

Postby alison on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Yesterday I noticed for the first time that there were little tadpoles in the pond. Just laying very still in the silt on the bottom of the pond. I was so thrilled to see that some had survived the wintery weather and were now hatching from the spawn into taddies. I will be keeping my eyes open every day from now on to see if they continue. :D
alison

Postby alison on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 am

The tadpoles are doing really well and have found a place to hide where hopefully the fish cant get them all. A funny thing happened the other day though concerning one of my koi. As I looked out of the window into the pond it looked like there was a frog holding onto the back of the fish putting one arm over his back and clinging round the other side. For the rest of the day I kept a lookout on the fish to see if the frog had moved, This had happened before where a frog has been in a clinche with a fish for 48 hours before I managed to get them apart so I was concerned for this fish. Later that day I went out to the pond and finally got a good look at what I had thought was a frog only to find it was the black markings on the fish..... :o My sister had given me this fish a short time ago and I hadn't really made a note of it's markings and how much black was at one side to the other. I was relieved but think it's about time I went back to the opticians. :lol:
alison

Return to Pondlife