Not sure about this...

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Not sure about this...

Postby alison on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:26 pm

I believe a few years ago I mentioned to you all that my sister was planning a new pond but with her next door neighbour. They were going to have it between the bottom of both gardens. They came to a point at the bottom and decided that they would run the pond between the two so as to make a decent size pond. We all told them that it would be a mistake for all the obvious reasons. What if they moved away, had arguements, wanted different fish etc but they were so sure it was going to be great.
Work went ahead with them both taking turns paying for the electricity for the pump and food etc. Things seemed really good then a few months ago the next door naighbour said they couldn't afford the pond any longer and were going to fill their side in. Well it made it look so small with the other side filled in plus the neighbour sold all the fish he had bought.
It is so sad to see this lovely pond in such a way and my sister rang me the other day to tell me she was bringing me a few of her fish as they had decided to fill their side in too. She was upset about it but it kept on leaking badly and her hubby had had enough of working on it after what had happened to it.
On the upside I have now got two beautiful large Koi which I would never have been able to afford and one of my other sisters has the other Koi.
I am concerned about them though as for one thing they have been moved into a completely foreign pond which has all sorts of creatures and plants that live in it whereas they have come from a very clean and also because it is so late in the year to be moving some fish. I guess only time will tell if they have survived it as when spring arrives that is when they will possibly be the most vunerable.
We shall wait and see.
alison

Re: Not sure about this...

Postby alison on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:28 am

Well the fish have managed to survive so far. A couple of weeks ago now my mother in law asked if I wanted some more fish in my pond as my ex-brother-iin-law had moved to another home and wanted to fill in his pond. I ended up with about 20 baby goldfish but it is lovely as they come up for food each day. Lucy wanted a couple to go in her fish tank so she chose two of them which are also doing okay.
alison

Re: Not sure about this...

Postby alison on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Well all the fish have done very well so far. They have really grown in the last few weeks, they have been coming up to the surface when the food has been thrown in so it is a good way to see them as often they are in the plants or well down in the depths. I need to cut back all the plants now and tidy up the pond. I have noticed that the rocks on my waterfall have been displaced and a lot are missing so goodness knows what is happening. I am wondering if it is the fox or the cats that have displaced them and they have fallen into the pond. They are quite a decent size though so maybe not the cats. Anyway the job is to get the pond and waterfall looking neat and tidy. How are your ponds at the moment?
alison

Return to Pond talk