new frog year

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

new frog year

Postby alison on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:19 am

Yesterday i noticed that the frogs are beginning to return to the pond. At the moment there are about a dozen or so within both ponds. The little pond had been neglected over the autumn/winter and when I realised that the frogs were back I made a point of clearing out the old leaves etc. the pond is only for the frogs there are no fish in it but I am sure that they would prefer some clean water so this morning bright and early I was emptying out the mucky water and leaves. I left some of the old water in at the bottom as they need some food from the insects that are in the water and some where to cover themselves over if needs be.
Have any of you had your frogs return yet?
alison

Re: new frog year

Postby Ponddipperdave on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 am

Nothing in the new pond yet but it's always March in the Manchester pond.
They're back in the Salford pond though.
Oh Hi Alison by the way! :D
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 pm

There is a lot of noise tonight with the lovely purring of their mating call. Then when i walk round to the back garden to come into the kitchen they disappear under the water and then emerge one by one.
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 am

Not seen any frogs yet but there is one clump of frogspawn!
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:21 am

Well we had about 40-50 frogs by the end of the mating time but last week I heard a solitary croaking but I think it was a toad. It would be lovely to have toad spawn as well.
The tadpoles are getting much larger each day and sonny took some brilliant photos of them where you can see all their gills and the different colours of the frogs to be.
Not sure how the cats will react when they change into froglets and venture out of the pond.
alison

Postby alison on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:53 am

I was just looking back at the date of the frogs return to the pond last year and they are 1day out coming back.
It was the 24th feb and this year it is 25th.. It is amazing that they can time things so well. Their timing may be good but mine is rubbish as I wasn't prepared for them and the tiny pond needs a good clean out before they all come tumbling in, So i guess that is my job for friday, :D
alison

Postby alison on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:51 pm

I have managed to clean the little pond now even though there were already a few pairs in whilst I was pouring away the stagnant water but I am sure they will feel much better in fresh water. I added some of my watercress from the big pond to give them something to spawn onto so here's hoping we have a good spawning this year..
alison

Postby alison on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:25 pm

The frogs all did well and have laid lots of spawn which have already changed into lovely little tadpoles. The sun was shining today which brought all the fish up to the top which is always fun to see them even if they did want to gobble the taddies up!!
alison

Return to Pondlife